The Fokker C.V was a biplane developed by the famous Fokker aircraft company in the nineteen twenties, as a light reconnaissance and bomber aircraft. Manufacturing began in 1924 at Fokker in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Several versions were developed, often to customer wishes. Even the wing could vary in span. Several engines could also be picked. Many aircraft were sold and exported. License manufacturing also took place in several countries. The Dutch Air Force used the C.V in front line service against the German Luftwaffe May 1940. Despite its age, it could achieve some bombing successes.
In 1927, the Swedish Air Force purchased two C.V-Ds (J 3) and two C.V-E (S 6) to serve as models for the eventual license manufacturing of the aircraft by CVM at Malmen. The four aircraft were flown to Sweden in 1928. They proved suitable and an agreement for licence production was made and a further four C.V-E and six C.V-D were purchased, the latter designated J 3A. Seven C.V-D ordered from CVM were built as C.V-E, as by 1929 it was clear the type was unsuitable as a fighter, but still they were designated J 3B. In 1931, the J 3B were redesignated S 6, the J 3 and J 3A S 6A. Ten C.V-E with Nohab My VI engines instead of Jupiter VI engines were given the designation S 6B. The S 6 became the prime liaison aircraft for the Swedish Air Force. It was used for fire spotting, aerial photographing and liaison duty in conjunction with the Army. At the outbreak of World War II, there were 36 aircraft left in service. They would continue until being replaced by Saab 17s from 1942. CVM manufactured 17 S 6 between 1929 and 1932. Some were fitted with floats and designated S 6H. (source: WikiPedia)
In 1945, the SwAF sold three S 6s to Svensk Flygtjänst to be used for aerial application over forrest. Two other were sold to Skåneflyg in 1947. The aircraft preserved at the Swedish AF museum near Linkoping, Sweden is shown here. It has a ski landing gear which is peculiar as it has 4 parallel skis. Seen August 2012.
(Although not a lot of photo's are seen here, we published the walkaround as this is a rare aircraft)
Photographed by Peter Booij (C) Copyright IPMS Nederland
Fokker C.Vd (C.5d)
The type was also used by the Dutch Air Force LuchtVaartAfdeeling / Militaire Luchtvaart from 1925 - May 1940. First a C.5 with no. 312 it was later converted to C.5d with the Kestrel engine getting the no. "634". This C.5d served until the German attack on The Netherlands May 1940 and survived as during the war it was stored at the engineering collection of the Delft university. In 1955 it was donated to the Aviodome Schiphol museum (at that time coded "618" though that aircraft was lost at Haamstede May 1940).
This aircraft was restored in 1995 with the original no. "634" and now is in the proud collection of the Aviodrome at Lelystad airport. It wears the wartime orange triangle markings. The engine cowling panel is removed, showing the engine and structure.
Photographed 2014 and 2017 by Meindert de Vreeze (C) Copyright IPMS Nederland
In 1/72 scale various kits have appeared including LF Models, BroPlan, PH Models. In 1/48 scale Geromy has a resin kit but it is NOT very buildable.
Enthusiasts and historians find more info on our NedMil pages here...
This walk around page was first published on January 2012 by M. de Vreeze